Do you fancy an indulgent and educational week in glorious tropical Bali, exploring the textiles of Indonesia? Do you want to know more about ikat, double-ikat, batik, indigo dyeing, and more?
Please join us on this exciting and educational escape to beautiful Ubud for a week of creativity, indulgence, community and inspiration.
This creative women’s retreat offers you the chance to gather with like-minded women in a magnificent and spiritually nourishing environment. The week’s explorations, day trips and classes share a textile arts theme but there is also ample opportunity for other activities including sightseeing, yoga, relaxing, swimming or sitting and stitching and enjoying the company of other crafty creative women. This retreat is open to women of all ages, from all over the globe.
The retreat price includes:
- 7 nights/8 days accommodation in a beautiful lush riverside resort nestled in the side of a hill within ten minutes walking distance of Ubud. Rooms include ensuite bathrooms, safety deposit box, air conditioning, tea/coffee facilities, free wifi, robes, slippers, toiletries, hairdryer). The resort has two pools, a dedicated restaurant, spa and several yoga and meditation rooms.
- pick up and drop off to and from the airport
- welcome drink on arrival
- fruit basket on arrival in your room
- daily bottled water in your room
- most meals
- daily yoga session (yoga mats provided)
- one 1-hour massage
- 30% discount on any additional massages or spa treatments at the resort
- scheduled shuttle services into Ubud’s centre if you don’t want to take the short walk into town
- a traditional water purification ceremony at a Balinese temple
- a fascinating textiles lecture/class at the Indonesian Textile Arts Centre ‘Threads of Life’
- a batik and natural dye workshop, including lunch, in the Bebali Foundation’s studio and dye garden
- a full day trip with our guide featuring visits to a 1000 year old temple, a traditional Balinese family compound, a weaving workshop, a visit to Bali’s most important textiles market, and lunch at a restaurant overlooking magnificent terraced rice paddies and a volcano.
- a second day trip hosted by Threads of Life staff to visit a double-ikat weaving village (one of only three locations in the world where this rare weaving technique is practised) and to an endek and songket weaving village. A picnic lunch is included.
- several free timeslots throughout the week for independent sightseeing, exploring, relaxing, swimming, shopping, etc
- the opportunity to extend your stay at the resort before and/or after the retreat, at a special room rate.
The retreat price does not include:
Airfares, travel insurance (compulsory), visas, the few meals not scheduled, alcoholic beverages, expenditure of a personal nature, tips and gratuities, and any additional classes or excursions you may wish to schedule in your free time (eg. a trip to Denpasar to the famous fabric shopping strip, sightseeing tours, other craft classes, etc).
Things to note
• the retreat comprises 7 nights/8 days and operates from Saturday 8th – Saturday 15th October 2016. The opportunity exists to extend your stay by an extra night or two before or after the retreat at the special group price;
• accommodation is in single ‘Superior’ ensuite rooms in a beautiful resort on the banks of Ubud’s holy river;
• the resort is located on the side of a ravine and features many steps. While only a moderate level of fitness is required, this retreat is not suitable for those in wheelchairs or with limited mobility;
• we are striving to offer a culturally, environmentally and economically sensitive and sustainable retreat. To this end: we visit several workshops and business enterprises that are either village co-ops (ie. all profits returned directly to the villagers), fair trade organisations and/or projects aimed at providing vocational training and experience to local or disadvantaged communities; we ask you to BYO cloth shopping bags and reusable drink bottle;
• the itinerary is a full one, however several free periods (some afternoons, a full day, and several evenings) are built into the schedule;
• a detailed daily itinerary is available on request.
If you have not been to Bali before, a treat awaits you. Bali is a beautiful island with a rich spiritual and ceremonial life and fascinating cultural traditions.