Bali Textiles Tour
27 July – 3 August 2019
Can we tempt you with an indulgent and educational week in glorious tropical Bali, exploring the textiles of Indonesia? Would you love to escape to beautiful Ubud for a week of creativity, community and inspiration?
This creative women’s retreat offers you the chance to gather with like-minded women from all over the globe in a magnificent and spiritually nourishing environment. The week’s explorations, day trips and classes share a textile arts theme but there is also ample opportunity for other activities including sightseeing, yoga, relaxing, swimming or sitting and stitching and enjoying the company of other crafty, creative women.
As we visit a number of artisan workshops specialising in double ikat (geringsing), weft ikat (endek) and supplementary weft ikat (songket), batik, natural dyeing and wood carving, there will be opportunities to meet the skilled artists and watch them at work. We’ll take part in several hands-on workshops including a batik and natural dye class under the guidance of master dyers, a weaving workshop taught by a women’s traditional weaving group and a basketry class during which we’ll use palm leaves to craft a small basket. We’ll listen to a talk on the fascinating textiles of Indonesia and their place within daily and ceremonial life, stop (and shop if you wish) at a market known for its stunning textiles and ceremonial accoutrements and also participate in an interactive tour with an organisation that supports and educates marginalised girls and women, at the same time preserving and promoting Bali’s cultural and handcraft heritage.
We’ll delve into Balinese culture as we visit age-old temples, take part in a Hindu water purification ceremony, learn to make traditional offerings, visit a traditional home and several rural villages, stop at a world-class museum showcasing the masks and puppets that are an important aspect of Indonesian culture, travel through the island’s lush landscapes and enjoy Balinese hospitality and cuisine.
Our home for the week is a beautiful riverside resort set in stunning grounds, just a short walk from central Ubud and featuring two swimming pools, a dedicated restaurant, a wellness spa and offering guests a range of optional activities including free scheduled shuttles to central Ubud, yoga, discounts on spa treatments and more.
If you have not been to Bali before, a treat awaits you. This beautiful tropical island has a rich spiritual and ceremonial life and fascinating cultural and handcraft traditions.
You are warmly invited to join us on this fabulous textile adventure. We do hope you’ll join us!
Price (All prices are in Australian dollars)
- Twin share: AU$2295 per person.
- Single supplement: AU$650 NB: Single places are limited so please book early.
- A deposit of AU$700.00 is required to secure your place.
- The balance is due no later than 10th May 2019.
Included in price
- 7 nights accommodation as per the itinerary
- meals as per the itinerary (7 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 2 dinners)
- all transport, sightseeing attractions and excursions as per the itinerary
- hands-on workshops and classes as per the itinerary
- arrival and departure airport transfer
Not included in price
- international airfares
- travel insurance (compulsory)
- passports and visas
- early check in or late check out
- meals and drinks not included in the itinerary
- optional activities or activities not included in the itinerary
- personal spending
Things to note
- The retreat comprises 7 nights/8 days and operates from 27 July – 3 August 2019. The itinerary is a full one to ensure value for money however several free periods are built in to the schedule for independent sightseeing, exploring, relaxing, swimming, shopping, etc;
- The opportunity exists to extend your stay at the resort either before or after the retreat;
- Transport is by car and private 14 seater mini-bus;
- Cultural, environmental and economically sustainable travel is important to us. Where possible, we: engage local guides; visit workshops and business enterprises that are either village co-ops (ie. all profits returned directly to the villagers), fair trade organisations and/or projects aimed at providing vocational training and experience to local or disadvantaged communities; we ask you to use cloth shopping bags and BYO reusable drink bottle;
- Accommodation is at a beautiful lush riverside resort (4 Star standard according to Trip Advisor) nestled in the side of a hill within ten minutes walking distance of Ubud. Our ‘superior‘ rooms include ensuite bathrooms, safety deposit box, air conditioning, tea/coffee facilities, free wifi, robes, slippers, toiletries, hairdryer and 2 bottles of drinking water per room per day. The resort has two pools, a dedicated restaurant, spa and several yoga and meditation rooms.
Additional options available to resort guests include:
- scheduled shuttle services into Ubud’s centre (4 per day) if you don’t want to take the short walk into town
- * yoga and meditation session (yoga mats provided): currently 3 per week on Tues, Thurs and Sat 5.30-7pm
- * morning rice-field walk: currently Tues, Thurs, Sun
- * white crane movement class: daily 4-5pm
- * kirtan singing circle: every Tuesday 6.30-8pm
- * meditation and water blessing: every Wednesday 6pm
* A minimum booking of 2 guests is required for the activity to proceed. Activities must be booked with reception before 6pm on the evening before. The above schedule may change without notice.
- Is this trip right for you? Please consider your mobility/fitness levels to determine if this trip is right for you. To ensure that you’re able to make the most of this trip, you should be prepared for full days of activities in a humid tropical climate; be prepared to explore the sights and highlights on foot, sometimes on uneven ground. The resort is located on the side of a ravine and features many steps. While only a moderate level of fitness is required, this retreat is not suitable for those with limited mobility.
- our group size is approximately 12 women;
- the retreat|recreate host for this trip will be Susan Keeble
- retreat|recreate’s tour groups comprise women from all over the globe and embrace all ages, ethnicities and personalities;
- Flexibility and a sense of humour are encouraged when travelling as part of a group.