Rescheduled to June 2022 due to Covid-19 restrictions.
Dates, itinerary and prices for the June tour are to be confirmed. Register your EOI via the contact page to receive details of the June tour and future FNQ tours as soon as they’re released.
FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND HANDCRAFTS
9-16 October 2021
retreat|recreate is delighted to offer this 8 day/7 night women’s tour exploring stunning Far North Queensland through the lens of its handcrafts.
This carefully curated itinerary offers an immersive and inspiring cultural and creative experience. Join us as we explore Far North Queensland’s ancient culture, traditional and contemporary arts and handcrafts and stunning environments!
Our tour begins in Gimuy/Cairns where we’re very privileged to participate in an eco-cultural experience on lands that are not otherwise accessible to the public. We’ll experience a welcome to Country and smoking ceremony and learn about the deep connection of the traditional owners to the land and water as we take an easy walk with a Mandingalbay Yidinji guide. We’ll continue on to a beach-side studio where we’ll enjoy a ghost net weaving workshop and learn the basics of transforming marine debris into beautifully crafted art and sculpture. This hands-on workshop will be led by a highly respected fibre artist and the artistic director of a Torres Strait island Arts Centre. Her strong commitment to arts development in communities and her collaborative approach to art marking has opened up a world of artistic and commercial opportunities and experiences for the island communities which extend far beyond the Torres Strait.
From Cairns, we’ll head inland to the lush mountains of Kuranda where we’ll enjoy a cyanotype workshop at the rainforest garden studio of a superb artist, ceramicist and photographer. We’ll visit the gallery of an artists’ co-operative and several galleries showcasing indigenous art before we continue on to Port Douglas and the traditional lands of the Kuku Yalanji people.
During a basket weaving workshop with a nationally recognised Aboriginal master weaver and artist, we’ll each make a small dilly bag, learn about traditional Kuku Yalanji weaving techniques, materials and baskets and their cultural significance.
An evening cultural performance, set in the midst of the rainforest is an opportunity to deepen our knowledge of traditional culture. While we dine on a fabulous tropical feast, we’ll be entertained (and educated) with stories of the dreamtime, knowledge of the land and a didgeridoo performance by two Aboriginal brothers.
A full-day outing will include a guided walk with a traditional owner through the breathtaking, ancient landscape of Mossman Gorge, a visit to an Aboriginal community Arts Centre and a Daintree River cruise. We’ll also visit the gallery of a well known Kuku Yalanji artist where we’ll enjoy a traditional painting workshop. While we paint, the artist will share stories and insights into his life, culture and art.
For the last few nights or our tour, we’ll return to Cairns. Our final workshop is a fabulous printmaking and bookbinding workshop led by an accomplished conceptual artist and arts educator. Using inspiration and impressions from our tropical travels, we’ll each produce a small book of hand-printed images – a very special keepsake of the group’s collective memories from this trip.
The FIVE! fabulous hands-on workshops on this tour are:
- Ghost net weaving
- Cyanotype printing
- Kuku Yalanji basket weaving
- Traditional Kuku Yalanji painting
- Printmaking and bookbinding
The result: five very special creative experiences and your very own hand-made souvenirs to remind you of your travels!
This exciting textile adventure is not to be missed! We’ll stay in 4-star accommodation for all 7 nights, marvel at breath-taking, ancient landscapes, sample delicious, tropical cuisine and enjoy the company of like-minded textile and handcraft enthusiasts. Plus much, much more.
retreat|recreate acknowledges the Traditional Owners of Country throughout Australia and recognises their continuing connection to the land, sea and community. We pay our respects to the Elders past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island people and their cultures.
retreat|recreate is proud to engage and support Aboriginal owned and operated businesses and organisations offering cultural and creative experiences wherever possible.
- Twin share: A$4350 per person
- Single supplement: A$990
- 8 days/7 nights in 4 star accommodation
- 7 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 3 dinners (drinks not included)
- Transport: private coach, taxi, ferry, boat
- 5 hands-on workshops
- All activities as per the itinerary
- Entrance to excursion venues as per the itinerary
- Travel insurance
- Early check in or late check out
- Arrival and departure transfers
- Personal spending (phone, internet, laundry, mini bar, souvenirs etc)
- Meals and drinks not specified in the itinerary
- Internet not included in our hotel rates
- Activities marked as optional
- The retreat|recreate host on this trip is Susan Keeble
- A deposit of AUD $1000 is required to secure your booking * (see below)
- The balance will be due no later than close of business on 3 September 2021
- Bookings made after 3 September 2021 must be paid in full at the time of booking.
- Single room places are limited
- Maximum group size is 11 people
- *Minimum number for tour to proceed is 8. Should we fail to reach a group of 8, the tour will not proceed and your deposit will be refunded.
- Details of accommodation, venues, workshop leaders etc will be provided to successful tour applicants once the full group is confirmed.
- COVID-safe protocols will apply on this tour
- Due to Australia’s international borders being closed in 2021, this tour is only open to Australian-and New Zealand-based guests
To request the Information Pack (itinerary, booking form etc) for this trip, please send us a message via the contact page.
We’d love you to join us!