JAPAN DANCE & CULTURE TOUR: 11-23 MAY 2023
retreat|recreate is delighted to offer this 13 day, 12 night women’s tour exploring beautiful Japan through the lens of its dance and cultural traditions.
Join us as we embark on this exciting, dance-focused trip of a lifetime featuring a plethora of fabulous experiences and workshops. Our tour commences in beautiful Kyoto, the cultural and historical heart of Japan, continues on to Kawaguchiko with its stunning lakes, and serene views of Mt Fuji and finishes in fabulous, bustling Tokyo.
This exciting new itinerary features NINE!! dance, theatre and movement experiences including private performances, demonstrations, artist talks and introductory workshops. We’ll enjoy: a Samurai kenbu (sword and fan dance) performance and workshop; the rare opportunity to observe Geisha training; a Butoh performance and workshop; a Mikomai (shrine maiden) experience and workshop; a Noh experience and workshop; a Koenji Awaodori (folk dance) workshop; a Taiko (drumming) workshop; a private studio ballet performance, beginner ballet and stretch class with a professional ballerina and teacher; plus a lakeside yoga and meditation class.
Each activity provides the opportunity to explore various aspects of Japanese dance, theatre and culture, aiming to provide a rich and insightful experience of Japan from this perspective. Our introductory workshops require a moderate level of fitness and while suitable for dance enthusiasts (beginner level experience) also offer a deeper understanding of Japanese dance and culture for established dancers and movement practitioners.
Further cultural highlights include: ticketed seats to a geisha dance performance at Kamogawa Odori (a geisha Spring dance festival); a temple festival; a folk festival parade; a traditional tea ceremony; visits to significant temples, shrines, and gardens; several galleries and museums; a handcraft market; an antiques market; food markets; travel on Shinkansen (bullet train) to a region with fabulous views of Mt Fuji; a Shinrin-yoku (forest bathing) session; plus major iconic sites such as Shibuya crossing, Harajuku (known for its crazy street fashions), Gion (geisha and entertainment district), Ginza (high end shopping district), Ningyocho (an ancient merchant hub), the bright lights of Shinjuku and Golden Gai; fabulous Japanese cuisine and much, much more!
This exciting immersion into Japanese dance and culture is not to be missed! We’d love you to join us!
Click here to read testimonials from previous retreat|recreate travellers.
TOUR DOCUMENTS & BOOKING INSTRUCTIONS
1. Click on the underlined links below to access the three tour documents:
2. Carefully read all documentation, particularly the Booking Conditions and the Trip Notes to determine if the tour is right for you, noting the vaccination, health, fitness and mobility requirements;
3. Download and complete the Booking Form (either using the ‘Fill and Sign’ option on your PDF reader software, or by printing it out, completing it by hand and then scanning/photographing it) and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Things to note:
- a deposit of AUD$1000 is required to secure your booking;
- the maximum number on this tour is 14 women. If we don’t reach the minimum number of participants (8), the tour will not proceed and your deposit will be returned;
- places are not necessarily allocated on a first come first serve basis as we often need to juggle the number of available single and twin places;
- single places on the tour are limited – we recommend you book early to avoid disappointment if you would like a single room.
- the itinerary provided doesn’t include names of hotels, venues etc. A more detailed itinerary will be provided to successful applicants closer to departure.
Note: If you work in a dance, theatre or performance arts related field, this tour may may also be valid as professional development and may also be tax deductible (check with your tax agent to be sure).
Note: As some of the activities included in this itinerary are culturally appropriate for women only, this trip is a women’s tour. If you’re interested in a tour for all genders or a private group tour please get in contact.
Click here to enquire about this tour, ask us to email the tour details directly to your inbox or register your Expression of Interest (EOI) for future dance-focussed tours.