Postponed due to Covid 19.
Japan Handcrafts Tour
3-16 October 2020
retreat|recreate is delighted to present this 13 night/14-day women’s-only textile & handcrafts tour of Japan. We invite you to come with us and explore this fascinating country through the lens of its textile and handcraft traditions.
A priority of our handcraft and textile tours is engagement with artisans directly, whether that’s a hands-on class with an expert, or a formal seminar or lecture on textile traditions, or simply visiting artisans in their studios and having the chance to chat informally and look around their workspace.
This very exciting small group itinerary features six private handcraft classes (sashiko embroidery, washi papermaking, pottery, kintsugi, maki-e laquerware painting and botanical dyeing). We will also enjoy several studio and workshop visits where we’ll meet weavers, antique textile specialists, and indigo dyers. We’ll take in specialist handcraft museums, a flea market, temples & shrines and the cultural sites of Tokyo, Kanazawa and Kyoto.
Come with us! Engage with local artists, be inspired by incredible design and craftsmanship, shop for amazing textiles and handcrafts and experience traditional Japanese culture and hospitality, all in the company of a small group of likeminded textile enthusiasts.
• 13 nights/14 days accommodation: 11 nights in 3.5 star hotels and 2 nights in a ryokan
• Arrival transfers in shared shuttle from Narita airport
• Daily breakfasts, 1 lunch (Day 9), 2 dinners (Days 1 & 13)
• Transport: subway trains, bullet trains, private air conditioned coach (Day 11), occasional taxis
• Six hands-on handcraft workshops (sashiko embroidery, washi papermaking, pottery, kintsugi, maki-e laquerware painting and botanical dyeing)
• Entrance to all museums, galleries, studios and excursion venues
• Services of a local English-speaking experienced & accredited guide, and a retreat|recreate host (and a driver on Day 11)
• International airfares
• Travel insurance
• Early check in or late check out
• Departure transfers
• Personal spending (souvenirs, laundry, phone etc)
• Meals and drinks not included in the itinerary
• Tip for our guide
- Twin share: price of the rescheduled tour is yet to be confirmed.
- Single supplement: To be confirmed
- Note: 2022 Prices are to be confirmed Please expect a price increase as tour operators, suppliers and venues will impose their annual price increase as well as expenses related to additional Covid-related measures.
If you’d like to register an Expression of Interest for any of our tours, please email us via the contact page.