ONLY A FEW PLACES LEFT!
retreat|recreate is delighted to offer this 8 day/7 night women’s tour exploring Tasmania through the lens of its textiles and handcrafts.
Join us as we explore the ancient culture and craft heritage of Iutruwita’s traditional owners when we tour a museum exhibition; meet spinners, weavers, dyers, knitters, stitchers and felting artists; watch fibre artists, glassblowers, woodworkers, painters at work; learn about wool growing and fibre production when we visit sheep and alpaca farms, meet farmers and visit a wool museum; take an interactive tour of a boutique handmade paper factory; enjoy Tassie’s superb scenery, sample delicious local produce and stitch, knit and craft along the way. Plus much, much more.
Our adventure begins in Luyni mungalina (Launceston) on the Tamar River. At a superb museum exhibition we’ll learn about the culture, lifestyle and handcrafts of Tasmania’s first people. As we explore the areas around Deloraine and Pataway (Burnie), known for their creative and artistic communities, we’ll be able to watch artisans at work. We’ll spend two nights at our gorgeous coastal lodgings, surrounded by manicured gardens and set amongst 150 acres of native bushland at Hawley Beach. Continuing southward through the picturesque midlands, we’ll explore historic townships, yarn shops, textile artisan studios and sheep and alpaca farms. We’ll spend a night in beautifully restored convict cottages and barns on a historic farm before heading to vibrant Nipaluna (Hobart) for two nights. A day trip from Tasmania’s capital city will take us to the Huon valley for our final full day of activities before we return to Hobart for our final group dinner.
All accommodation is rated at 4 stars and includes a coastal historic estate, a heritage farm and a waterside heritage hotel.
This itinerary features three fabulous hands-on workshops, led by three superb, accomplished artists, each respectful and mindful of treading lightly on this precious land. We’ll gather grasses and fibres on Country with an Aboriginal artist, followed by a basket weaving, felting and garland making workshop; make and embellish a journal cover using creative embroidery and slow stitching techniques and finally, we’ll learn about the intricacies of natural dyeing with local plants and eco-dye a pair of wool socks. The result: three very special experiences and your very own hand-made souvenirs of Tasmania!
This exciting textile adventure is not to be missed!
We’d love you to join us!
- Twin share: A$3095 per person
- Single supplement: A$700
- 8 days/7 nights accommodation in 4 star accommodation
- 6 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 3 dinners (drinks not included)
- Transport: private coach, taxi
- Workshops and activities as per the itinerary
- Entrance to museums, galleries, studios and excursion venues as per the itinerary
- Services of a retreat|recreate host
- Travel insurance
- Early check in or late check out
- Arrival and departure transfers
- Personal spending (souvenirs, phone, laundry etc)
- Meals and drinks not specified in the itinerary
- Activities marked as optional
- Single place numbers are limited
- A deposit of AUD $1000 is required to secure your booking
- The balance will be due no later than 20 January 2021
- Details of accommodation, venues, workshop leaders etc will be provided to successful tour applicants once the full group is confirmed.
To request the tour Information Pack (itinerary, booking form etc) please email us via the contact page .