Rescheduled to May 2022 due to Covid-19 restrictions.
Dates, itinerary and prices for the May tour are to be confirmed. Register your EOI via the contact page to receive details of the May tour and future Top End tours as soon as they’re released.
TOP END HANDCRAFTS TOUR
1 – 9 October 2021
retreat|recreate is thrilled to offer this 9 day/8 night women’s tour exploring Darwin and surrounds through the lens of their ancient and contemporary art and handcraft traditions
Join us on this fabulous, immersive, small group adventure as we explore the traditional and contemporary culture, art and craft of Australia’s Top End! A very special highlight of this tour will be spending three full days on Limilngan-Wulna Country with a local 100% Aboriginal owned, family-run business. With the women from this family, we’ll gather grasses and fibres on Country, learn how to prepare and dye the leaves with local plant dyes and pigments, before weaving them in a very special basket weaving session with senior Wulna weaving women. Together we’ll visit Merrepen Arts Centre, one of Australia’s premier Aboriginal arts centres, specialising in painting, weaving, screen printing, etching and silk painting. You’ll be able to meet the artists and hear their stories, tour the facilities and if you purchase any artworks, have the pleasure of knowing that 100% of the profits go directly to the artists. And under the guidance of our hosts we’ll explore Kakadu, Djukbinj and Litchfield National Parks with their incredible rock art sites and natural wonders and learn firsthand about their cultural significance to the Traditional Owners. All this and so much more, in a very special, carefully curated cultural and handcrafts-based private 3-day experience.
During our days in Darwin, enjoy the privilege of a private basket weaving session with members of the Tiwi Islands’ Wangatunga Strong Women. These talented weavers (and singers!) will demonstrate and instruct us in their basketry techniques while sharing stories of Tiwi culture and heritage, over a morning tea of damper and bush tea. We’ll also experience a guided artist tour of the public sculptures of a Darwin-based internationally acclaimed artist, and at the spectacular site of her final sculpture, overlooking the ocean, she’ll lead us in a ghost net & recycled materials weaving workshop.
Another highlight in Darwin will be a visit to MAGNT (Museum & Art Gallery Northern Territory) for a private viewing and discussion of their collection of Aboriginal artefacts from the Larrakia (Darwin) nation, hosted by the art gallery’s Senior Curator. This will be followed by a viewing of the stunning 2021 NATSIAA (National Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Art Awards) exhibition. The 65 works of art on display this year from the country’s most talented emerging and distinguished First Nations artists are extraordinary and this is an exhibition not to be missed. Other features of the itinerary includes an artist talk with a local Aboriginal artist and designer, visits to local handcraft studios and galleries, and a private guided walking tour of Darwin’s famous street art. We’ll explore the Mindil Beach Sunset Markets and Parap Markets, and visit the nearby Aboriginal art galleries. Dining at some of Darwin’s best restaurants, experiencing bush tucker and enjoying stunning sunset views over the Timor sea all round out a fabulous 9 days. Will you join us to experience all this and much much more, in the company of a small group of likeminded textile and handcraft enthusiasts?
The three fabulous hands-on workshops on this tour are:
- Traditional Aboriginal basket weaving – gathering, preparing, dyeing and weaving with local plants – with senior Wulna women
- Ghostnet and recycled material weaving – with a well known Darwin-based artist
- Traditional Tiwi Islands basket weaving – with the Tiwi Islands Wangatunga Strong Women
retreat|recreate acknowledges the Traditional Owners of Country throughout Australia and recognises their continuing connection to the land, sea and community. We pay our respects to the Elders past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island people and their cultures.
retreat|recreate is proud to engage and support Aboriginal owned and operated businesses and organisations offering cultural and creative experiences wherever possible.
- A$5250.00 per person
- Single supplement A$450 (note: single rooms not available on days 4, 5 &6)
- 9 days/8 nights accommodation
- 8 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 5 dinners (drinks not included)
- Transport: private coach, taxi
- Workshops and activities as per the itinerary
- Entrance to museums, galleries, studios, National Parks and other venues as per the itinerary
- Travel insurance
- Early check in or late check out
- Arrival and departure transfers
- Personal spending (souvenirs, phone, etc)
- Meals and drinks not specified in the itinerary
- retreat|recreate host is Susan Rees-Osborne
- Accommodation in Darwin is in a 4 star hotel
- Accommodation on Days 4, 5 & 6 on Country is in multi-share (twins and triples) air conditioned cabins with kitchenettes
- Single supplement place numbers are limited. (Does not apply on days 4, 5 & 6)
- A deposit of AUD $1000 is required to secure your booking* (see below)
- The balance will be due no later than close of business on 3 September 2021
- Bookings made after 3 September 2021 must be paid in full at the time of booking
- COVID-safe protocols will apply on this tour
- Due to Australia’s international borders being closed in 2021, this tour is only open to Australian-and New Zealand-based guests
- Details of accommodation, venues, workshop artists etc will be provided closer to departure
- Maximum group number is 12
- *Minimum number for tour to proceed is 8. Should we fail to get 8 guests, the tour will not proceed and your deposit will be refunded
This exciting Top End handcrafts adventure is not to be missed. Request the full itinerary and booking form now and join us!