29 OCT – 5 NOV 2022
Including the 41st Tasmanian Craft Fair
retreat|recreate is delighted to offer this 8 day, 7 night women’s tour exploring Iutrawita (Tasmania) through the lens of its ancient and contemporary handcrafts
Join us as we embark on this exciting handcraft adventure featuring FIVE fabulous hands-on workshops. Each workshop honours elements of Iutrawita’s pristine environments and will be led by respected, talented artists, each mindful of treading lightly on this precious land. We’ll wrap and embellish small rocks using a needle-weaving technique; learn to make seaweed paper and press seaweed samples; eco-dye a pair of wool socks and discover the intricacies of natural dyeing with Tasmanian eucalypts; make and embellish a journal cover using seaweed-dyed fabric and slow stitching techniques; gather grasses and fibres on Country and weave with an acclaimed Aboriginal artist. The result: five very special experiences and your very own hand-made souvenirs of Tasmania!
Further highlights include visits to: a museum exhibition with a Trawlwoolway guide where we’ll learn about the ancient culture of Iturawita’s First People; sheep and alpaca farms where we’ll meet amazing women farmers and learn about wool growing and fibre production; a wool museum showcasing Tasmania’s wool growing history; shops and artisan studios where we’ll meet a variety of fibre artists including spinners, weavers, dyers and knitters; and finally a day at the incredible Tasmanian Craft Fair (a major event on Australia’s national craft calendar) where we’ll view the diverse and inspiring work of Tasmania’s talented art and craft community. We’ll enjoy Tassie’s superb scenery, sample delicious local produce and stitch, knit and craft along the way. Plus much, much more!
This exciting textile adventure is not to be missed! We’d love you to join us!
- Twin share: A$3720 per person
- Single supplement: A$730
- 8 days/7 nights accommodation as per the itinerary (6 nights in 4 star, 1 night in 3-3.5 star)
- 7 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 4 dinners (drinks not included)
- Transport: private coach, taxi
- Workshops and activities as per the itinerary
- Entrance to museums, galleries, studios and excursion venues as per the itinerary
- Services of a retreat|recreate host
- Travel insurance
- Early check in or late check out
- Arrival and departure transfers
- Personal spending (souvenirs, phone, laundry etc)
- Meals and drinks not specified in the itinerary
- Activities marked as optional
- Single place numbers are limited. Book early to avoid disappointment
- A deposit of AUD $1000 is required to secure your booking * (see below)
- The balance will be due no later than close of business on 30 Sept 2022
- Bookings made after 30 September 2022 must be paid in full at the time of booking
- Maximum group size is 12 people
- *Minimum number for the tour to proceed is 8. Should we fail to reach a group of 8, the tour will not proceed and your deposit will be refunded
- The retreat|recreate host on this tour is Susan Keeble
- Details of accommodation, venues, workshop leaders etc will be provided to successful tour applicants once the full group is confirmed
This exciting Tasmanian handcrafts adventure is not to be missed. Request the full itinerary and booking form now and join us!
retreat|recreate acknowledges the Traditional Owners of Country throughout Australia and recognises their continuing connection to the land, sea and community. We pay our respects to the Elders past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island people and their cultures.